Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Swan Song

It appears that Cheney wants to sing before his powerful position takes a final decent into history. I was listening to the beautiful Winter Song by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles as I read about his interview. One verse seemed somehow appropriate:

This is my winter song.
December never felt so wrong,
cause you're not where you belong;...

...and in my mind where he belongs is locked up for war crimes!

As Mitchel Bard, the author of the above linked article says,

...if Cheney is going to go on national television and endorse torture, I feel like he has tied the hands of the country. How can we change our image, both to the rest of the world and to our own citizens, if we allow a sitting vice president to confess to supporting a policy of torture and do nothing about it?


Unlike Mitchel, I have not been ambivalent about whether the incoming Obama administration should go after the Bush administration for the High Crimes and Misdemeanors they have committed! Bush and Cheney should have been impeached, but I guess its a tad late for that now, so what next...war crimes trial, Truth and Reconciliation Commission? David Latt says that:

...there are those who see the vice president's admission as part of a strategy to force the president to pardon him and all those named in the Senate Report: Rumsfeld, Meyers, and Rice. If Bush doesn't pardon them, they will certainly be pursued by those in the new administration who will not let-bygones-be-bygone.


It scares me to think that they could just get out of it by a pardon from the puppet president. The outrages of this administration inspired my very first blog, and my outrage has not lessened. For now I will go back to my Christmas carols and take comfort that this must surely be Cheney's swan song!

Let music sound while he doth make his choice;
Then, if he lose, he makes a swan-like end...

2 comments:

Dade Cariaga said...

Hear, hear! Cheney has some brass, that's for sure.

The question now is "What are we going to do about it?"

Heather Ann said...

Exactly, they CANNOT get away scott free!