There is a vote scheduled in the U.S. House of Representatives which will take place this Wednesday - only two days from now! To get this vital protection into law, we will have to let our Members of Congress know now! Just click on this link and in less than two minutes you can make your voice heard: http://capwiz.com/narla/issues/alert/?alertid=10525366&type=co (The letter has already been written. You simply enter your name and address, and the letter is automatically formatted and sent to your Congressman when you click enter.)
This legislation would:
• Crack down on tobacco marketing and sales to kids.
• Require larger, more effective health warnings on tobacco products.
• Require tobacco companies to disclose the contents of tobacco products.
Today, tobacco companies enjoy a huge loophole in the law. While other products for human consumption must include a label that lists ingredients, cigarettes aren't required to be labeled. Tobacco companies have exploited this loophole to add a number of toxic ingredients to their already deadly product without their customers knowing. And they have manipulated their product to artificially increase the amount of nicotine in order to make it more difficult for people to quit smoking.
• Grant the FDA authority to require changes in tobacco products, such as the removal or reduction of harmful ingredients.
• Ban candy-flavored cigarettes that lure children into taking up smoking.
• Prohibit terms such as "light", "mild" and "low-tar" that mislead consumers into believing that certain cigarettes are safer when, in fact, they are not!
• Prohibit false health claims by tobacco companies.
(This summary is based on material prepared by the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, for more detail on what the bill will do, please visit: http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/reports/fda/index.shtml)